1 evening per week for 6 weeks, 6 - 8pm
Refer to the dates tab on our website for upcoming dates or 'Register your Interest' to be notified of more upcoming dates as they are published.
Photo identification (including your date of birth).
PDF DownloadSWTAFE_ShortCourse_Brochure_Introduction to Counselling.pdf
What You Learn
Various counselling skills and the opportunity to practice these skills in sessions using role plays.
What You Get
Interpersonal skills that are essential for basic counselling, that may also be applied in other situations where someone requires support and understanding.
Materials to Bring
Pen and notepaper.Photo identification (including your date of birth).
A NEW BEGINNING IN COMMUNICATION
Improve your communication skills for counselling and everyday life
Begin learning the interpersonal skills that are essential for basic counselling. These skills will reach beyond counselling into other life situations where someone requires support and understanding.
While this course does teach basic counselling skills, it is not a substitute for full counselling qualifications and years of first-hand experience.
- Role plays
- Body language in communication
- Helping others to feel comfortable and to talk more openly and freely
- Developing better listening and observation skills
- Responding verbally - what to say, what not to say
- Building trust and empathy
- Clarifying and understanding the feelings of others
- Helpful and unhelpful questioning
- Mixed messages in communication
- Steps in the counselling process
- Exploring possible solutions to a problem
- Ethics and responsibility in helping others
- Role of the professional counselor
At South West TAFE we’re here to help you complete your studies happily and successfully.
From the moment you start thinking about course options until you finish, you’ll have access to a range of student support options, covering enrolment, education, social and personal issues, including:
- Education Pathway Officers who can help you with information sessions, fee payment options, TAFE and university pathways, career pathways and campus tours
- A DHHS registered Disability Support Team
- Koorie Liaison Officer
- Student Wellbeing Officer supporting your personal and social needs
- Library and Research Centre
- Bookshop supplying a range of textbooks and stationery
- Student Learning Support including literacy and numeracy