1 hour and 15 minutes (one-on-one)
NO FURTHER DATES FOR 2018 - Please register interest for 2019 delivery dates
You are required to attend your nearest campus by 4pm on the Thursday prior to the training to finalise your enrolment. Contact our friendly team on 1300 648 911 if you cannot attend a campus before that time.
Photo Identification - Motorcycle Learner Permit AND Drivers Licence:
If no Drivers Licence is held at the time of enrolment, proof from VicRoads of your successful completion of a Hazard Perception Test must be provided to our Customer Service Team.
Hazard Perception Test (only for participants with no Drivers Licence):
* Is a computer based test at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre
* You have 45 minutes to complete it
* The test is available in 14 languages
* Your responses will be assessed in terms of safety
* need to be at least 18 years old
* need to be a Victorian resident
* need to hold an Australian Motorcycle Learner Permit for at least 3 months right before you apply, or have held a motorcycle licence issued in Australia, New Zealand or another country within the last 5 years (for another country visit: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers)
* need to be medically fit to drive (if medical conditions need to be assessed by VicRoads, please allow 10 business days from submission of your VicRoads Medical Form to South West TAFE, before your Motorcycle Licence Assessment date).
If you get your Motorcycle Learner Permit from 2 April 2016, you’ll need to complete an on-road skills check (also known as a Check Ride) before you can book in for your Motorcycle Licence Assessment.
You will need to successfully complete a Check Ride at least one month before the date of your Motorcycle Licence Assessment.
It is recommended to undertake the check ride approximately 2-3 months after holding your Motorcycle Learner Permit, although there is no minimum period after you have obtained your Motorcycle Learner Permit that you have to complete your Check Ride.
You are only required to do a single Check Ride but if you want additional training you can do as many Check Rides as you like to prepare for your licence assessment.
Although it is NOT mandatory to undertake a Check Ride if your Motorcycle Learner Permit was issued PRIOR to 2 April 2016, our VicRoads approved South West TAFE trainers recommend you complete a Check Ride as a means of ensuring that you are riding and managing the road safely and correctly, prior to obtaining your licence.
You must ride a Registered and Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) bike during the assessment:
South West TAFE motorcycles are available for hire for the assessment, including sports, cruisers and naked upright bikes. However, it is recommended that you practice and ride on your own registered and LAMS approved bike.
If you wish to ride your own bike for the assessment, please confirm it is registered and LAMS approved prior to enrolment.
Check you registration and LAMS approval on the VicRoads website: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/buy-sell-or-transfer-a-vehicle/buy-a-vehicle/check-vehicle-registration/vehicle-registration-enquiry
Further information about Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) bikes is also on the VIcRoads website: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/licence-and-permit-types/motorcycle-licence-and-learner-permit/approved-motorcycles-for-novice-riders
Our Customer Service Officers will also require your LAMS approved motorcycle and registration number.
What You Learn
Overview of changes to requirements and restrictions on the new licence.
What You Get
On and off-road assessmentUse of a hi-visibility vest
To get your Motorcycle Licence, you must pass the following tests:
1. Eyesight test
2. Hazard perception test (not required if you already have a Drivers Licence)
3. Motorcycle licence skills assessment (a practical ride)
Upon successful completion, you will be provided with a VicRoads Licence Receipt, allowing you authorisation (subject to subsequent licence/permit refusal, suspension or cancellation) to operate a Motorcycle (for a period not exceeding 2 months from the date of issue), until your Licence is issued/updated and posted to you by VicRoads.
For further information, please refer to the Vic Roads website: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/licence-and-permit-types/motorcycle-licence-and-learner-permit/get-your-motorcycle-licence
Materials to Bring
Pen and notepaper.
Photo identification (including date of birth):
- Motorcycle Learner Permit
- Drivers Licence (if held). If a Drivers Licence is not held, please provide proof to our Customer Service Officers of your successful completion of a Hazard Perception Test at VicRoads.
Original VicRoads Check Ride receipt (mandatory for Motorcycle Learner Permits issued in Victoria after 2 April 2016)You may bring your own motorcycle (if registered and LAMS approved) however, a range of motorcycles are available for hire.
When riding a motorcycle or scooter, it is crucial that you wear protective clothing to help keep you safe. Protective clothing that keeps out the wind and rain will also make riding a more comfortable and enjoyable experience.
Training PPE Requirements:
* Long sleeves and long pants; no exposed skin.
* Certified approved motorcycle helmet.
* Eye protection while riding; either helmet visor down or protective eyewear.
* High visibility (hi-vis) vest or jacket (supplied by SWTAFE for training use).
* Motorcycle gloves, secured at the wrists.
* Sturdy footwear with fully enclosed toes (no thongs/sandles/slippers etc).
* Rainwear, if necessary
NEW VICROADS GRADUATED LICENSING SYSTEM (GLS)
As of 2 April 2016, new requirements came into effect for individuals wishing to obtain a Motorcycle Licence in regional Victoria. Replacing our previous Motorcycle Training and Assessment one day course, the new VicRoads GLS Motorcycle Licence Assessment is now only 1 hour and 15 minutes (plus, if applicable, a 3.5 hour Check Ride, completed one month prior).
* Includes VicRoads assessment fee and normal Licence Variation fee
* Motorcycle hire is available for $55
* Additional Licence First Issue P1 fee is $80.80 or $107.70*, if you don’t hold a Drivers Licence (* an applicant who is under 21 years of age and is being issued with a licence for the first time will be issued with a 4 years probationary licence)
* Full Payment is required at the time of enrolment
On-range (off road) assessment:
* warm up ride, curves and change path
* braking from a point
* controlled stop, left turn and slow ride
* move off from a parked position on the side of the road
* approach a turn and accelerate to a safe speed after turning
* turn left at a cross or T intersection
* come to a complete stop at a STOP sign before proceeding when safe to do so
* slow down and give way at a GIVE WAY sign before proceeding when safe to do so
* ride through a roundabout
* ride through a curve
* ride in traffic
Further Information or to Enrol
Please contact 1300 648 911, visit your local campus or email firstname.lastname@example.org.