There are currently no dates scheduled | Please 'Register your Interest' to be notified of upcoming 2018 dates.
You will then be required to attend your nearest campus by 4pm on the Thursday before your training to finalise your enrolment. Contact our friendly team on 1300 648 911 if you cannot attend a campus before that time. If you do not make contact with us, a $20 administration fee will be charged for an enrolment transfer or cancellation.
Photo identification (including your date of birth).
Current Motorcycle Learner Permit
- Need to be at least 18 years old
- Need to be a Victoria resident
- Can’t be disqualified from holding or getting a learner permit
- Need to be medically fit to drive (if medical conditions need to be assessed by VicRoads, please allow 10 business days from submission of your VicRoads Medical Form to South West TAFE, before your GLS Motorcycle Check Ride course date)
In preparation for the GLS Motorcycle Check Ride, it is recommended participants read the Victorian Rider Handbook which is available through VicRoads, newsagents or online.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/ Licences/Handbooks/Motorcyclists/ VictorianRiderHandbook.htm
What You Learn
Handling of the motorcycle and thinking through why you want to ride and the safety decisions you need to make as a rider.
What You Get
A review of your current motorcycle skills and knowledge post learner permit training through an on-range and on-road assessment.
Upon successful completion, you will be provided with a VicRoads Check Ride Receipt, allowing you authorisation (subject to subsequent licence/permit refusal, suspension or cancellation) to proceed with your GLS Motorcycle Licence Assessment.
Materials to Bring
- Pen and notepaper
- Your lunch
- Photo identification (including date of birth)
- Motorcycle Learner Permit and Drivers Licence (if held)
- If you do not hold Drivers Licence, you will also be required to show other evidence of identity. Please refer to the VicRoads website for types of identification that may be provided: www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/evidence-of-identity/types-of-identity-documents
When riding a motorcycle or scooter, it is crucial that you wear protective clothing to help keep you safe. Protective clothing that keeps out the wind and rain will also make riding a more comfortable and enjoyable experience.
Training PPE Requirements:
- Long sleeves and long pants; no exposed skin.
-Certified approved motorcycle helmet that conforms to the Australian Standard 1698
- Eye protection while riding; either helmet visor down or protective eyewear.
- High visibility (hi-vis) vest or jacket (supplied by SWTAFE for training use).
- Motorcycle gloves, secured at the wrists.
- Sturdy footwear with enclosed toes (no thongs/sandals/slippers etc).
- Rainwear, if necessary.
SWTAFE can supply helmets and gloves for students who do not have any. There is no extra cost for the use of these items during your course. However we do encourage you to bring your own to ensure a you have comfortable and familiar equipment on the day.
As of 2 April 2016, new requirements came into effect for individuals wishing to obtain a MGS Motorcycle Licence in regional Victoria.
A GLS Motorcycle Check Ride is compulsory for participants wishing to obtain their Victorian GLS Motorcycle Licence who have successfully obtained their GLS Motorcycle Learner Permit after 2 April 2016. For those who currently hold a valid Victorian Motorcycle Learner Permit obtained prior to 2 April 2016 the GLS Motorcycle Check Ride is currently optional but highly recommended
The GLS Motorcycle Check Ride must be completed at least one calendar month prior to attempting the GLS Motorcycle Licence Assessment (MLA).
It is also that you hold your GLS Motorcycle Learner Permit for a minimum of 3 months before participating in the compulsory GLS Motorcycle Check Ride.
The 3.5 hour GLS Motorcycle Check Ride has been developed by VicRoads. The GLS Motorcycle Check Ride includes an on and off road component.
GLS Motorcycle Check Ride activities include:
- Review of Motorcycle Permit Assessment Skills Checks
- Warm up ride - curves and change path
- Breaking from a point
- Simulated road ride
- Pre-road briefing
- Check Ride
- Ride in traffic
- Move off from a parked position on the side of the road
- Approach a turn and accelerate to a safe speed after turning
- Turn left at a cross or T intersection
- Turn right at a cross or T intersection
- Come to a complete stop at a STOP sign before proceeding when safe to do so
- Slow down and give way at a GIVE WAY sign before proceeding when safe to do so
- Ride through a roundabout or signalised intersection (if available)
- Ride a section of multi-lane road (if available)
- Ride through a curve; preferably a series of two curves
Motorcycle hire is available for $55
* Payment is required at the time of enrolment
Further Information or to Enrol
Please contact 1300 648 911, visit your local campus or email email@example.com.
At South West TAFE we’re here to help you complete your studies happily and successfully.
From the moment you start thinking about course options until you finish, you’ll have access to a range of student support options, covering enrolment, education, social and personal issues, including:
- Education Pathway Officers who can help you with information sessions, fee payment options, TAFE and university pathways, career pathways and campus tours
- A DHHS registered Disability Support Team
- Koorie Liaison Officer
- Student Wellbeing Officer supporting your personal and social needs
- Library and Research Centre
- Bookshop supplying a range of textbooks and stationery
- Student Learning Support including literacy and numeracy