2023 DATES - 5 PLACES PER DATE
18 MAR 2023 -FULL
19 MAR 2023
15 APRIL 2023
16 APRIL 2023
13 MAY 2023
14 MAY 2023
17 JUNE 2023
18 JUNE 2023
Enrolments close by 4pm on the Thursday prior to the scheduled training date.
To finalise your enrolment please attend the closest SWTAFE Customer Service Desk. If you cannot attend a campus before that time, contact our friendly team on 1300 648 911, to assist you in completing the required paperwork and payment
NB: A minimum of 2 participants is required for any Check Ride session to continue. Students will be transferred (at no cost) to the next available date if minimum participant numbers are not reached.
Current Motorcycle Learner Permit
- Need to be minimum18 years old
- be a Victoria resident
- Cannot be disqualified from holding or getting a learner permit
- Need to be medically fit to drive (if medical conditions need to be assessed by VicRoads, please allow 10 business days from submission of your VicRoads Medical Form to South West TAFE, before your Motorcycle Check Ride course date)
What You Learn
Handling of the motorcycle and thinking through why you want to ride and the safety decisions you need to make as a rider.
What You Get
A review of your current motorcycle skills and knowledge post learner permit training through an on-range and on-road assessment.
Upon successful completion, you will be provided with a VicRoads Check Ride Receipt, allowing you authorisation (subject to subsequent licence/permit refusal, suspension or cancellation) to proceed with your GLS Motorcycle Licence Assessment.
Materials to Bring
- Pen and notepaper
- Motorcycle Learner Permit and Drivers Licence (if held) or Photo identification (including date of birth)
When riding a motorcycle or scooter, it is crucial that you wear protective clothing to help keep you safe. Protective clothing that keeps out the wind and rain will also make riding a more comfortable and enjoyable experience.
Training PPE Requirements:
- Long sleeves and long pants; no exposed skin.
-Certified approved motorcycle helmet that conforms to the Australian Standard 1698
- Eye protection while riding; either helmet visor down or protective eyewear.
- High visibility (hi-vis) vest or jacket (supplied by SWTAFE for training use).
- Motorcycle gloves, secured at the wrists.
- Sturdy footwear with enclosed toes (no thongs/sandals/slippers etc).
- Rainwear, if necessary.
SWTAFE can supply helmets and gloves for students who do not have any. There is no extra cost for the use of these items during your course. However we do encourage you to bring your own to ensure a you have comfortable and familiar equipment on the day.
The GLS Motorcycle Check Ride must be completed at least one calendar month prior to attempting the GLS Motorcycle Licence Assessment (MLA).
It is recommended that you hold your Motorcycle Learner Permit for a minimum of 3 months before participating in the compulsory Motorcycle Check Ride.
$245 Payment is required at the time of enrolment
Motorcycle hire is available for $75
The 3.5 hour GLS Motorcycle Check Ride has been developed by VicRoads. The GLS Motorcycle Check Ride includes an on and off road component.
Motorcycle Check Ride activities include:
- Review of Motorcycle Permit Assessment Skills Checks
- Warm up ride - curves and change path
- Breaking from a point
- Simulated road ride
- Pre-road briefing
- Check Ride
- Ride in traffic
- Move off from a parked position on the side of the road
- Approach a turn and accelerate to a safe speed after turning
- Turn left at a cross or T intersection
- Turn right at a cross or T intersection
- Come to a complete stop at a STOP sign before proceeding when safe to do so
- Slow down and give way at a GIVE WAY sign before proceeding when safe to do so
- Ride through a roundabout or signalised intersection (if available)
- Ride a section of multi-lane road (if available)
- Ride through a curve; preferably a series of two curves
Further Information or to book a place; please contact 1300 648 911, visit your local campus or email firstname.lastname@example.org.