This course has rolling enrolments. Upon securing your place in this course you will be given learning tasks to commence and when sufficient enrolments practical assessment on a boat will be organised. Any quesitons please contact the teacher Mr Brett Davis on 55210467.
Please refer to the dates tab on our website for upcoming dates or 'Register your Interest' to be notified of more upcoming dates as they are published.
What You Learn
It is important to understand that the knowledge required to obtain a Marine Radio Certificate is not extenstive and it is not difficult to obtain. The level of Knoweldge required to pass the final exame (70% pass required) includes the following aspects:
- Knowledge of MF/HF and VHF marine radios
- Identify the difference between Ship Stations, Coast Radio Stations and Limited Coast Stations
- Understand and use the ‘Phonetic Alphabet’
- Use correct operating procedures and channels when operating a marine radio
- Understand Distress Urgency and Safety Communications
- Understand Digital Selective Calling (DSC) Communications
- Understand the use of 406 MHz EPIRBS
- Understand the use of SART’s
- Understand Search and Rescue in Australia
- Identify the different types of radio equipment, their application and limitations
- Identify the components of a marine radio and the care and maintenance required with radio equipment and power sources
What You Get
Students will receive a copy of the Marine Radio Operators Handbook.
At successful completion of the training students will undertake an approved Marine Radio Operators Assessment.
Successful completion of this assessment will lead to the issuing of the AMSA Certificate of Proficiency as a Marine radio Operator.
Materials to Bring
Passport size photo, Photo identification (including date of birth)
Marine radio is one of the most important pieces of equipment you can carry on board but it's of little use to you if you don't know how to use it to call for help in an emergency or other mishap. Marine Rescue units run a program of courses each year aimed at teaching members of the boating community how to use their marine radios correctly and appropriately.
Before choosing the right course for your needs, it will be helpful to have an understanding of the regulations applying to marine radios and which require you to have a qualification to operate and a licence to own.
The Short Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP) and Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP) courses are based on ACMA requirements.
The LROCP course will enable participants to operate VHF, MF and HF marine radios for enclosed, inshore and international offshore waters. Course participants will gain:
- the ability to use correct marine radio operating procedures, in particular those relating to distress, urgency and safety messages for VHF including DSC (Digital Selective Calling) and MF/HF (Medium Frequency and High Frequency); and
- an understanding of the operation and controls of typical marine radio equipment; simple maintenance practices; and the regulations applicable to ship radio systems.
The SROCP course participants will gain:
- the ability to use correct marine radio operating procedures when using 27Mhz and VHF, including DSC; and an understanding of the operation and controls of typical marine radio equipment; simple maintenance practices; and the regulations applicable to ship radio systems.
At South West TAFE we’re here to help you complete your studies happily and successfully.
From the moment you start thinking about course options until you finish, you’ll have access to a range of student support options, covering enrolment, education, social and personal issues, including:
- Education Pathway Officers who can help you with information sessions, fee payment options, TAFE and university pathways, career pathways and campus tours
- A DHHS registered Disability Support Team
- Koorie Liaison Officer
- Student Wellbeing Officer supporting your personal and social needs
- Library and Research Centre
- Bookshop supplying a range of textbooks and stationery
- Student Learning Support including literacy and numeracy