The program is a self paced model delivered to industry workers and completed over 6 week scheduled timetable.
On Week 6 requires students to attend Warrnambool or Hamilton campus for simulated assessment and the final assessment will be observed in the workplace.
For dates please refer to the dates tab on our website
Industry Based Training conducted via 9 sessions within a 6 week period as follows:
Session 1: Induction to SW Tafe Online via Webex with Teacher = 2 hours
Session 2: Prepare to assist with Medication via online self-directed learning = 6 hours
Session 3: Prepare the client for assistance with Medication via online self-directed learning = 6 hours
Session 4: Support clients with Adminstration of Medication via online self-directed learning = 6 hours
Session 5: Handle medication contingencies via online self-directed learning = 6 hours
Session 6: Complete medication distribution and documention - online self-directed learning = 6 hours
Session 7: Demonstration of the application of medications - On Campus (location TBC) = 2 hours\
Session 8: Simulated assessment delivering medications to clients - On Campus (location TBC) = 1 hour
Session 9: Observation of applied skills in the workpace - students current workplace (Time TBC) = 1 hour
NOTE: You must complete a compulsory pre-training review and language, literacy and numeracy quiz (PTR/LLN) before commencing the program
- You must complete a compulsory pre-training review and language, literacy and numeracy quiz (PTR/LLN) before attending class.
Prior to your enrolment a PTR/LLN review will be conducted with you to confirm that the course you are seeking to enrol into meets your individual needs. The link will be emailed to you upon your booking. Failure to complete the pre-training review before class will incur a $20 administration fee for a booking cancellation or transfer.
- You must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) to enrol in an accredited course. You can apply or get more information at www.usi.gov.au.
- Photo identification (including your date of birth) must be provided at the training
What You Learn
How to prepare and provide medication assistance
How to complete medication documentation
Handling medication contingencies
What You Get
Upon successful completion, you will receive a Statement of Attainment for the following unit:
HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication
The skills to support a client to self-administer medication.
Materials to Bring
Materials Needed: Internet and computer to access SWTAFE Online
Are you currently working in the aged and disability sector and require the skills to assist with the administration of medication?
This course will give you the relevant knowledge required to Assist Clients with Medication. You will gain the skills to complete medication documentation and support a client to self-administer medication.
This course applies to current employed workers in the aged and disability sector to assist with the administration of medication. Completion of this course does NOT qualify the person to be medication endorsed, only to assist with the administration of medication.
- Preparing to assist with medication
- Preparing the client for assistance with administration of medication
- Handling medication contingencies
- How to complete medication distribution and documentation
- Supporting clients with administration of medication
Participants are required to be employed within residential aged care or the disability sectors, and will be required to undertake written assessments as well as observations within your workplace.
Assessment task 1 - Questions
Assessment task 2 - Research
Assessment task 3 - Simulated and actual workplace observations delivering medications.
You must complete a compulsary pre-training review before attending class.
Prior to your enrolment a pre-training review will be conducted with you to confirm that the course you are seeking to enrol into meets your individual needs. The link will be emailed to you upon your booking. Failure to complete will incur a $20 administration fee for a booking cancellation or transfer.
Upon sucessful completion, you will be provided with a Statement of Attainment for the following unit:
- HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication
At South West TAFE we’re here to help you complete your studies happily and successfully.
From the moment you start thinking about course options until you finish, you’ll have access to a range of student support options, covering enrolment, education, social and personal issues, including:
- Education Pathway Officers who can help you with information sessions, fee payment options, TAFE and university pathways, career pathways and campus tours
- A DHHS registered Disability Support Team
- Koorie Liaison Officer
- Student Wellbeing Officer supporting your personal and social needs
- Library and Research Centre
- Bookshop supplying a range of textbooks and stationery
- Student Learning Support including literacy and numeracy