This course is self-paced and completed Online. Upon purchasing a place in the course you will be provided with a Username and Password and access to the learning material for a 6 week period.
The course date of 15.12.2023 is a nominal date and this course can be commenced online upon receipt of your username and password.
What You Learn
This short course describes the skills and knowledge required to work with individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and Intellectual Disability, with regard for their needs and within the context of support work.
What You Get
Certificate of Completion
Non Accredited Training
This course is non-accredited which means no Unit of Competency is completed, no assessment is required and no Statement of Attainment will be issued. Students will receive a Certificate of Attendance to acknowledge their participation.
Materials to Bring
Participants will gain an understanding in:
- Introduction to Autism
- History and context of Autism
- Current research
- Skills development for independence
- Relationships and emotional skills
- Introduction to Intellectual Disability
- Clinical terms
- Key features of Intellectual disability
- What is cognitive disability
- Developmental delay
- Definition of communication
- Communication skills
- Augmentative and alternative communication
- Hand gestures and Auslan
- Ethical and legal requirements
- Duty of care V’s Dignity of risk
- Workplace rights and responsibilities
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Dealing with breaches.